- 500 g cleaned calamari (about 6 small), tentacles included
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp black sesame oil
- 20 g ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 125 ml (½ cup) Shaoxing Haodiao / yellow cooking wine
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) light soy sauce
- 30ml shiitake mushroom sauce/ oyster sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar (or to taste)
- 15ml black vinegar & Thai basil and steamed rice, to serve
Prepare the calamari in deseired shape. Heat half the vegetable oil in a wok over high heat. Add half the calamari and stir-fry until opaque and just cooked (about 2 minutes). Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining vegetable oil and calamari.
Rinse wok and wipe dry with paper towel. Return to high heat until hot, add sesame oil, ginger, garlic and chilli and stir-fry until fragrant (30 seconds).
Add Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and sugar, bring to the boil and boil until reduced by half (about 3-4 minutes).
Return calamari to wok and stir to warm through.
Remove from heat and stir in the Thai basil and black vinegar.
Serve immediately with steamed rice.