- 400g chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs or a combination of chicken parts
- 1 tablespoon baking soda for the chicken, optional
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil or toasted sesame oil
- 2-inch (5 cm) piece old ginger, peeled and cut into thin pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sweet soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- Cut the chicken into pieces and rub them with the baking soda. Set aside for 10 minutes before rinsing the chicken off with water. Make sure the baking soda is completely rinsed off. Pat dry the chicken pieces and set aside. This is an optional step.
- Heat up a clay pot on high heat and add the sesame oil. Add the ginger, garlic, and stir-fry until aromatic. Add in the chicken and do a few quick stirs.
- Add the soy sauce, dark sweet soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and continue to stir-fry the chicken. Cover with the lid, lower the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the basil leaves and stir well with the chicken, dish out and serve immediately.