- 600g dried squid
- 1/2 lb pork belly cubed (pork shoulder or butt for less fat)
Spicy Bulgogi Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Korean red chili powder Gochuguru
- 3 Tbsp gochujang paste
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- 7 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp plum sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice cooking wine, sake or mirin
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger or 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 3 green onions cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 cup green cabbage cut into squares
- 1 carrot sliced thin
1 Green Chili sliced thin
Optional – for Fried Rice
- 2 cup cooked rice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Clean squid by cutting the belly side open, removing the guts, mouth and eyes. You can also peel the skin by sprinkling some salt and then using the salt to grab onto the skin. Otherwise, it can be quite slippery and hard to hold on to the skin.
Cut squid into 1/2 inch wide and 2.5 to 3 inch long strips. Watch my video to see how. Set aside.
In a bowl, add gochujang, gochuguru (korean red chili powder), maple syrup, plum syrup, soy sauce, mirin or cooking wine, sesame oil, chopped garlic, chopped ginger and sugar.
- Divide the sauce equally into 2 separate bowls and in one bowl, add pork, and massage with your hands a bit and leave it. In a second bowl, add the squid and mix. Leave both for 15 min at least or longer. Can refrigerate overnight.
Peel onions and carrots. Cut onion into 1/4 inch thick slices and carrots into 1/8th inch thick slices. Cut green cabbage into similar sizes as the squid – into long strips. If you like spicy, slice some green chili peppers.
Add all of the vegetables to the bowl with squid and toss them to coat the vegetables with sauce. Heat up the pan on medium heat and start cooking the pork belly. Cook for about 1 minute on each side until mostly cooked and then cut it into smaller pieces with scissors. Lower the heat or turn off if it’s starting to burn. (You can also pre-cut the pork belly into smaller pieces)
Time to cook!
Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Add the squid and vegetables to the pan with pork and cook everything together for 2-3 min. until everything is cooked and most of the sauce has been reduced.
Turn off heat when everything is cooked. Squid cooks quickly so be careful not to overcook it. Add your fresh herbs.
Time to serve! Enjoy.