Chicken and marinade:
- 4 chicken breasts - sliced into long thick strips
- 1 tsp rice wine
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ cups (180g) rough tapioca starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- peanut oil for deep frying - (at least 1 litre/four cups)
- 2 tbsp gochujang paste
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp brown sugar (if you like it sweeter)
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp Korean chilli flakes
- 3 spring onions & sesame seeds for garnish
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Add the marinade ingredients and mix well together, cover and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 1 hour (up to over night).
Heat a large pan of peanut oil (or preheat your deep fat fryer) until hot (you can test by dropping a small cube of bread in there, if it rises immediately to the top and starts to bubble rapidly, it’s hot enough). You’ll need at least 1 litre (4 cup) of oil.
Mix together the crispy coating ingredients in a small bowl.
Take the chicken out of the fridge. Lift a piece from the marinade and allow the excess to drip off. Dredge the chicken in the crispy coating mixture – ensuring it’s fully covered. Place on a tray and repeat until all of the chicken is coated.
Once the oil is hot enough, add in 5 or 6 of the chicken tenders. You can add more or less depending on the size of your pan, just be sure not to overcrowd the chicken.
Cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked in the middle. You can check this by cutting open a piece of chicken, if it’s no longer pink in the middle, it’s cooked.
Once all chicken pieces are fried once, re-fry half of them at a time in the hot oil. The 2nd frying will make the chicken extra crispy.
Make the sauce. Place the gochujang, honey, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, vinegar and sesame oil in a saucepan and stir together.
Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
Pour over the crispy chicken and carefully toss together, then top with the spring onions, chilli flakes and sesame seeds before serving.